Friday, May 22, 2009

Snakes


Nest before snake

Snake

Nest after snake

When my next door neighbor held up a 5' black chicken snake she had just killed in our adjoining backyards, I feared the worst and I was right. The nest in my shed that was full of eggs is now empty. Well, that is how nature works. The same type of snake had gotten into my parents garage the day before. Dad took a swing at it with a hoe only to leave it mad and bleeding. It crawled up into their Impala and they haven't seen it since; of course, they left the car outside that night so I imagine it crawled off into the night. While these guys are not poisonous, they will make you hurt yourself. I can remember going out the backdoor one day only to look to my right which put me eye to eye with a chicken snake that had climbed up the brick wall. Needless to say, I fell backwards into the house trying to escape. As a kid collecting eggs (one of my daily chores), I can remember reaching in to a nest only to get a handful of snake! From that day on, I always looked before I reached into the chicken nests.

No comments: