Saturday, November 8, 2008

Genetic Counseling

UAMS


Well, we got up early today and headed for Little Rock to an open house being held by the genetic counseling program at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS). Since I am the resident geneticist for our university, I thought it would be a good thing to go and learn more about this graduate program so I can better advise my students on this career choice. Debbie joined me and sat in on the session. I really like the fact that we can now do things together on a more regular basis. I know that I am rediscovering why I was so drawn to her in the beginning and why we have had such a successful marriage lo these many years. We certainly enjoy each others company, even though we can have such different interests. Although, I think she found the program interesting as did I, but the counseling part would not be my cup of tea. The thing the general population must keep in mind is that although science may discover the gene or mutation responsible for a disease or disorder, the cure for that problem may still be years away. Knowing what causes a disease and how to cure the disease are two entirely different things.

No comments: