Saturday, November 8, 2008

Algae Again!

Black streaks, Yuk!

Who said studying algae wouldn't pay off? I did some consulting work this week for a roof coating company who asked me to identify a problem they were having on some roofs in Florida. The problem was a blue-green algae called Gloeocapsa magma (see pics). It is a real pest and is notorious for leaving the ugly black streaks on shingle roofs down here in the South (see pics). I sent the company my results along with a bill. So yes, algae can be fun and profitable!
I enjoy working with private industry; it is a nice and profitable distraction from teaching. I am suppose to start working with an environmental consulting firm in January looking at E. coli levels in various runnoff sites around Little Rock. That should be fun as well.

Gloeocapsa magma

1 comment:

Amber said...

Uncle, Troy, I am glad you love you job! I never knew you to be science-oriented. To me, you were always a preacher. I'm still not completely sure what I want to be when I grow up!