Monday, November 3, 2008

Algae Meeting

While Debbie was up visiting Adam, Justine, and Brody, I was attending the Southeastern Phycological Colloquy in St. Augustine, Fl. Yes, a seaweed meeting. Believe it or not, there are many individuals who share a common interest in algae and it was great to get together with so many and just talk algae. I spent five years collecting and sequencing the DNA of seaweed during my doctoral work, but I never got tired of the slimmy stuff. It still facinates meet even though I now live so far from it.

The meeting was held at the Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve Environmental Education Center just outside St. Augustine. It was great to get to spend some time back in this area; although, Debbie and I had just been down there in St. Augustine in May. Maybe next year the meeting will be held somewhere I haven't already been and I can bring Debbie with me.

Education Center

2 comments:

Amber said...

The lighthouse is beautiful! Can't say the same for the algae.... :)

Debbie said...

Even though I do not like the stuff it is always good to see Troy enjoying something so much. I know men aren't suppose to be "cute", but he is cute bordering on adorable when he gets all excited about his algae. Personally I prefer the baby gear.

Love you,