Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Campus Shooting


Here is the scene of the shooting this afternoon on the campus where I teach (Henderson State University). This is Newberry Hall, a male dormitory which sits across highway 7 from the main campus and adjacent to the Ouachita Baptist University. Thank God no one was hurt and the shooters have been arrested. I was totally unaware of the incident until we received an email after the shooters were caught. The suspects took a shot from their car at their intended victim while he was walking back to his room with a group of students. These kind of incidents are becoming all too common today. No one at any location at any time of day is safe anymore. This is why I sit with my desk facing the door of my office; I want to see who is at the door and what they are doing. Although it appears that none of the shooters were HSU students, the frame of mind and emotional state of some of the students attending college today are really disturbing. I have had some pretty bizarre students myself and it would not surprise me in the least for one of them to go on a shooting spree. Ultimately, I know I am not taking my life into my own hands each day when I leave the house, but rather I am placing it in God's hands. What better place to put it?

1 comment:

Amber said...

Goodness! I am glad no one was hurt! God's hands is the safest place to be!