Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Invasion Discovered

While watering my plants in the backyard today I noticed a branch on my sugar maple was stripped of its leaves. Upon closer inspection this is what I found-- green-striped maple worms and eggs! Ironically, my daughter Tabitha had recently emailed me a picture of a Rosy Maple Moth that she had taken and asked me to identify it. I was familiar with the moth, but not the caterpillar form. I removed the branch and took these pictures. I hope I got them all.



Moth Eggs

Green-striped maple worms


Rosy Maple Moth (Dryocampa rubicunda)

1 comment:

Tab said...

Who thought that a moth could be pretty!?! I'd like to rename this the 'Barbie' moth. It's cool to see them as a work first...they even have a little pink on them then! By the way...your moth picture turned out a lot better than mine. It must be that nice camera :0)