Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Bray Roots

A few weeks back I ordered a DNA test kit from Ancestry.com in an attempt to trace the Brays back to their ancient point of origin. I had researched the company and their techniques off and on for two years to be sure they were the best. I wanted to retrace my father's side of the family (Bray) so the company looked at multiple locations on my Y chromosome to compare my sequences with sequences from the same locations from thousands of men across the world. The results were emailed to me today. My ancestors occupied Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and Finland until the last ice age (12,000-15,000 years ago) during which time they migrated to the Balkans, southern France, Spain, Portugal, and Italy. After the ice receded (~10,000 years ago) my ancestors returned to Scandinavia. This company also matches you with those clients who share the most similar DNA. For example, there is a person in CT who shares a common ancestor with me. This common ancestor lived approximately 5 generation ago or ~125 years, which means we could have the same great-great-great grandfather. I will be contacting this person in the next day or two and I am really excited to hear about their history.

2 comments:

Tab said...

Very interesting... I'm impressed!

Anonymous said...

sounds interesting! I love mysteries and a good challange.~DEE~