Saturday, April 18, 2009

Old Crow

Weird eye.
Crows walk funny.

Well, I don't know if I have posted a Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) on this site or not. Here is one that was creeping around our backyard. I always wanted a crow for a pet when I was a kid, but never got one. I know there are lots more crows today than when I was growing up, mainly due to the fact fewer people have gardens. When I was young everyone shot and killed crows to keep them out of the garden, but now you see them everywhere and no one bothers them.



2 comments:

RIgrandpa said...

Hi Troy: I remember a person who had a crow for a pet and the crow could bark like a dog.
I was at their house on a complaint that he had a barking dog. He told me he did not own a dog when suddenly I heard a dog barking in the house. I was invited in to see his barking crow. One of his friends was playing a joke on him.
It also looks like the birds are looking for grubs in the lawn.

RI Grandpa

Anonymous said...

A barking crow would be nice. Every time I see a crow I am reminded of this poem we had to memorize in school. In fact, the older I get the more I appreciate this poem.

ABOUT CROWS
by John Ciardi

The old crow is getting slow;
the young crow is not.
Of what the young crow does not know, the old crow knows a lot.

At knowing things, the old crow is still the young crow's master.
What does the old crow not know?
How to go faster.

The young crow flies above, below, and rings around the slow old crow.
What does the fast young crow not know?
WHERE TO GO?

Troy