Saturday, October 11, 2008

Crystal Springs

As Debbie posted below, we spent the day together just driving and seeing new sights. With the kids all grown and gone, it is really a new era in our lives and marriage. We can just up and go wherever and whenever we want without considering whether the kids will enjoy it or we can afford it. Thus, the price and stress of such outtings have really gone down. As far as Debbie and I are concerned, it doesn't take that much to entertain us. Show me the outdoors and give me a camera and I am happy. I love nature and I love being out in it. I can't wait until my grandchildren are old enough to go exploring with me. I have so much I want to show them. I love the baby period (Brody was a blast and Brayden will be too), but I can't wait for the "Why" stages.


Speaking of toddlers, here is a picture taken of me in 1964 at a site we visited today, Crystal Springs. Wow! Things have really changed over the last 45 years. I was really surprised the place still exists much less went through so many improvements. Visits to my grandpa and grandma Rowland always included some outdoor activity such as swimming at Crystal Springs. My grandfather died before I ever really got a chance to know him, but mom tells me he was quite the outdoorsman. One of his favorite pass times was bee hunting (tracking bees, finding the hives, and collecting the wild honey). Mom also told me he loved wildflowers and hunting. In fact, we went through the places both my grandparents were reared, Avant and Bear, AR. Both places were quite remote.


Old Crystal Springs
(Me in the tube, Perry behind me, and Annette in sexy bathing cap.)

New and Improved Crystal Springs


No comments: