Friday, August 20, 2010

Vegas

We had nice accommodations while exploring the desert sites. We stayed at the Venetian Hotel on the Vegas strip. A knock off of the city of Venice, it came complete with indoor and outdoor gondola rides along canals lined with shops. There had to be a lot of losers to pay for this place.

One morning Debbie and I got up at 5 a.m. and explored our hotel and even ventured outside to explore our temporary neighborhood (Treasure Island, Caesar's Palace, Flamigo, Luxor, Balagio, etc.). The fountain show was neat at the Balagio. We did see one show while we were here, The Blue Man group, which was great! We also got the chance to see the pawn shop from the TV show, "Pawn Stars" if you are into watching the History Channel you know what I am talking about.

However, by day three everything in Vegas started to look the same. Sensory overload was definitely stuck in overdrive. Every hotel looked like the one we just left. The strip became one long continuous stream of flickering lights with all the same sounds and smells. I was glad we didn't stay any longer than 3 days, which was enough time to see what we really came to see (the Grand Canyon and desert). Things had really changed since I was here 25 years ago. Even the locals I talked to agreed. Everything was so very expensive including the meals; it was like being stuck in an amusment park having to pay amusment park prices for everything you eat and drink. I know Vegas has tried to become more "family" friendly or more of a vacation destination for the whole family, but personally I don't get it. There are things even on the street I wouldn't want my teenager or adolescent to see or hear. And then there is the cost; I could easily see an ordinary meal running a family of four well over $150.




This was just half of our room on the 22nd floor. What is not shown in the picture is our king size bed and a bathroom with a glass, walk-in shower, huge tub, double sinks, and toilet in its own room with a telephone.

This was inside the hotel which has a ceiling painted like the evening sky. You really do feel like you are strolling the streets of Venice (I guess because I have never been to Venice).






No comments: