Sunday, September 26, 2010

Fall Gardening

With Fall temperatures finally arriving, I couldn't wait to get my hands dirty. The strawberry beds needed thinning and weeding. Alex and I had extended the bed by half this summer, so I had more room to plant the extra plants from the thinning process. I made 5 rows that are 10' long and I still had extra plants. So I planted some more plants in pots and placed them on the back patio; the rest of the plants I just threw in the flower bed and covered with the extra dirt. I am hoping for a bumper crop this spring so Brayden can pick and eat till his belly nearly pops. And after the strawberry harvest is over, the blackberry vines (along the fence) will be loaded with big, juicy berries ready for Brayden to pick. This is why I use no pesticides or herbicides, because we like to eat what we pick right there in the garden.

While working in the strawberry bed, I could enjoy the sights of all my other backyard favorites: morning glories, canna lillies, lantana and sweet potato vines.
















No comments: