Friday, July 2, 2010

Annoying Little Chore

Well, it is 4:00am and I am awaiting sunrise (~5:30am). A normal night's sleep is no more than 5 or 6 hours (back problems), but I enjoy my early morning walks in the garden. However, what awaits me today is no stroll through the roses, but rather some hand digging through 2 feet of dirt baked so hard by the sun that shovels recoil in fear at the sight (or site). No, I don't own a pick, but oh how I wished I owned a pick (or dynamite)!

You see my pressure regulator is out and the water pressure in the house has been sporadic to say the least. So, I must dig down a couple of feet to find the water pipe and then begin the search for the annoying little (bleep), which could be anywhere between the meter and the cutoff valve to my house (a distance of only 30 measly, little ole yards). And as an added bonus, all this work will be done in full sun (not a single tree in sight) during July in Arkansas.

For those not familiar with Arkansas weather, an Arkansan can tell what month it is by how many times we have to change our clothes each day. July is a definite 2x/day-month or 3x/day-month if you work outside. Also, it is this time of year when the phrase "wringing wet" is heard repeatedly, but it has nothing to do with falling into the lake or getting caught in the rain. Oh well, the sun is rising and I must prepare myself for the challenge before me and the backache to follow.

2 comments:

Tab said...

Just buy your grandson a shovel and put him to work. He would love it!

Anonymous said...

Don't tell Brayden but great-granny has a set of minature garden tools she has been saving for near 30 years; real steel not any of that plastic stuff. I will give him lessons in how to use the hoe, the rake, and shovel.

Papa