Saturday, April 24, 2010

black-n-blue

The brown-headed cowbirds and red-winged blackbirds have taken over my feeders, but I don't have the heart to run them off. The red-winged males are especially handsome with their colorful shoulder patches.
This is why I have to constantly refill my satellite dish feeders. These guys make a really big mess, but nothing goes to waste because a lot of birds like to feed on the ground. The mourning doves are especially fond of feeding on the ground below these feeders.
The indigo buntings like to hop around below the dish feeders as well. These guys really standout when feeding in a flock of blackbirds. There must have been 6 or 7 in my backyard today. But that is not to say buntings are opposed to eating at the feeders. They were all over the place today--on the ground and at the feeders.

No comments: