Saturday, October 3, 2009

Visiting Professor Program





One of the highlights of my job is the time I spend working in a volunteer program called the Educational Reclamation Zone (ERZ). The program partners professors with either high school or middle school teachers and their classes. I am starting my second year in the program and was one of the very first professors to become involved. I work with middle school students who are really great. They are curious, funny, and excited every time I visit. Debbie and I overheard a little girl last night in Sams telling her mom about me and how I visited their school. These are pictures from my first visit this year. I brought two of my students (Ken and Hannah) to help me with a DNA fingerprinting lab that the kids really liked doing. I am looking forward to going back this month to do some bloodtyping and later to hibernate some frogs. I think they will like both exercises.

1 comment:

Amber said...

That is so wonderful! I wonder if there are any homeschool groups in your area that could benefit from this program as well?? :-)