Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Surprise Visitor



Every year Northern Rough-winged Swallows (Stelgidopteryx serripennis) build nests in our chimney (I hate to think about how many nest are in there). Fortunately, we stopped using the fireplace years ago. Well, every year there will be one or two that will come down the chimney like Santa Claus, squeeze between the brick and the fireplace insert, and fly into our house.
Debbie is deathly afraid of these birds; I don't know why (maybe they look too much like bats). So, I have to catch them ASAP and take them back outside. Here is our latest visitor and I must say he was very cooperative. It only took me a couple of tries to catch him. Once on the curtains, he just let me reach up and grab him. Note the rough (uneven) edge on his wings in the curtain pic; the Latin word serripennis means "saw feather."






1 comment:

Tab said...

I agree...they are scary!